Saturday, November 24, 2007

BJJ SABAH

I just got back from the Saturday Open Mats session at KDT, where I had the pleasure of again rolling with guys from a new BJJ club in Sabah. They were also at the Thursday night class and it was cool to meet them. They’re a pretty new group, led by Allen Chong, a blue belt under John Will.

It was a lot of fun rolling with them, especially Allen. It was also fun giving the guys some help with their game. About 6 guys (and some girls too, that was really cool to see!) flew over to KL to say hello, and I’m told Allen has more students back home in Kota Kinabalu.

They’ve been training for maybe a couple of months, but already I can see a lot of potential. As BJJ classes go, it’s a decently large group, all around the same level, technically speaking. Ideally, they would all progress at the same rate, so they would always have people pushing them to get better.

We talked for a little bit about maybe meeting up more, especially since I plan to open my own gym in the near future. That would be awesome, and, I hope, a good omen for things to come for Malaysian BJJ.

It was really encouraging to see the spirit these guys have. I hope they keep training and don’t give up. Most of all, I hope that this experience has given them a source of inspiration and hunger for more, because I’d absolutely love to see what they could be like with a couple of years’ worth of experience under their belts.

No comments:

 
Free counter and web stats