Monday, July 27, 2009

SO. MUCH. ENVY.

On the latest Fightworks Podcast, they've got Andrew Smith from U.S. Grappling on the show. He was talking about his most recent tournament, a submissions-only, NO TIME LIMIT event. In his words, "if a match goes a couple of hours, it goes a couple of hours". Smith goes on to add "almost all the competitors walk away extremely happy with the outcome, because nobody can complain about the outcome".

Now, fair enough, maybe I'm biased. But GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST, WE NEED THESE EVENTS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA.

Anyway, it's also a really good episode. I think so, anyway. Ryan Hall is on it. So, yeah. U. S. Grappling = two thumbs up!

2 comments:

leslie said...

I competed in that event, and it really is a ton of fun. One of my matches went ~3 minutes; the others went 10-13 minutes. Even the matches I lost I was proud of because I'd done everything I could and had left everything I had on the mat.

I had done a NAGA (points tournament) the weekend before, and had 2 girls get a pass and then hold me down to win. Boo! Even losing by submission would be better than that. :/

Albert said...

Hi Leslie,

Yeah it sounded like an awesome time, and I'm already a big fan of the concept :)

Sorry to hear about the stalling though, that's harsh. Time limits and I really don't agree on a whole lot.

 
Free counter and web stats