Wednesday, December 5, 2007

SLEEPYTIME FOR BERT

To preface this post, I have a bit of a reputation in my gym. I'm pretty hard to choke. Even my fiancee teases me about having no neck. Some of the guys have even gone so far as to give me the nickname, "unchokeable". It's been going on for a while and if I'm honest, at some point I started getting used to it.

Well, tonight at class I got choked unconscious for only the second time since I started training. I think I was out for a good 9 or 10 seconds, during which time I had a lovely dream, only to wake up and see 5 guys standing over me.

I don't remember what I dreamt of, but I'm reasonably sure there was a nice, soothing light. There were almost certainly a few clouds, for which the only descriptor I can think to use is, "cheerful".

There are a good number of things I could be feeling at this point: frustration, resentment, self-pity, self-doubt...the list goes on. I think it's a bit odd, then, that what I felt was inspiration. And, I mean, I feel so completely excited about training, I started to worry there was something wrong with me.

I can see where, in some respects, I've been getting pretty complacent with my game. If anything, this was a much-needed reminder that I need to pull my socks up.

I'd like to think I made him work for the choke, though.

No comments:

 
Free counter and web stats