Monday, January 26, 2009

HOLIDAY BREAK #1: CNY

With the Chinese New Year kicking off, I've been taking advantage of the first real opportunity this year to relax and process the last three weeks of running the studio. My wife and I came back to KL for the long weekend and we've been having a lot of fun meeting up with friends and going to family reunion dinners.

I went to Open Mats at KDT on Saturday afternoon and spent most of it talking with Sam and Mike, before having a couple of quick rolls. The place looks quite different now as there's been a few new coats of paint slapped on ("apple white", say they) and some racks and such put in to make more efficient use of the space.

Sunday I met up with Vince and had a chat over some dim sum, which was also a lot of fun. As would be expected, I got a lot of great ideas out of this talk, and that's always cool with me. Tomorrow evening there's another get-together with the KDT people and I'm totally looking forward to an evening of great food and catching up with friends.

After almost a month of coaching, I think I'm starting to see things in a whole other light. It's really an eye-opening experience not just to be a once-in-a-while backup for the backup, but to strap in and do this full time, with no safety net, as it were. It's given me a new appreciation for what coaches go through on a day-to-day basis.

The Fizfit classes are pretty fun to do, as I've been working on some new stuff. CMD is always great as because the format of the class is so simple and set, I don't have to worry about what I'm going to coach, and just go focus on my clients - which adds a lot to the fun factor. BJJ is also starting to really pick up, and I'm playing round with some things now which I think will work out well.

Everyone kept telling me about funny stories and incidents I missed while I was gone, and what they're doing now, which was quite the reminder that while I'm not alone, I'm on my own. Far from being something I regret, however, running my own place is definitely one of the most rewarding things I've ever done - so far, so good!

No comments:

 
Free counter and web stats