Thursday, May 28, 2009

COMPETITION JOURNAL, 2009:8

Day 60 (May 28)
Have just checked the Mundial competitor list and since the last time I read it, 24 guys have been added for a grand total of 72. For most guys that's a lot. For me it's a phenomenal number. Strangely, I'm much more excited about competing than I am anxious. I really can't wait to get out there and roll. I feel good, fitness level is alright, and I should be fine if I can make it past the first round.

Taking it easy on the strength training but I'm pretty confident in that respect. My main focus until the competition is done will be my mental game (I say that like I know what I'm talking about, but mostly I just watch Roger Gracie videos on Youtube), but I will be packing my skipping rope for maintenance fitness work / weight watching.

I read that only the top 3 finishers in each blue belt division will be eligible to join the absolute, which I thought was funny. If my division stays at 72, then unless I'm mistaken, just getting to the division final means I have to do 7 matches. Some divisions have more than 100 people. Assuming the top 3 from each division accept, it means 27 competitors, or another 5 matches to win that as well. I've never in my life come across a mountain that I've wanted to climb more than this.

Class tonight will be a bit more relaxed, as not only is it my last day at the Studio before heading to KL, but it will be the last class for a couple of guys who are moving soon.I fly to KL on Friday night and before my flight on Saturday there's enough time to go to open mats at KDT. I'm just going to take it nice and easy, savour the moment and enjoy my life - which right now is just a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

 
Free counter and web stats